Do you want to take a screenshot on your Windows PC? Are you looking to get full screen screenshot or just a screen record? You might think you know how to screen shot you on your windows with your print screen key but it’s more than that. There are several ways to take screen shot on your Windows 8, 10, and 11.
In this article, you will learn different ways you can capture your entire desktop, video record, get a keyboard shortcut, windows search bar, and whatnot. After this reading article, you will have a great concept of how to screenshot on Windows anytime and anyhow.
- 1 Contents of the article
- 2 Option 1: How to screenshot on Windows with print screen key
- 3 Option 2: Press Alt and print screen button to capture the screen (alt+prt sc)
- 4 Option3: Windows logo + Print Screen screen capture
- 5 Option 4: You can use the snipping tool to take a screenshot
- 6 Option 5: Use a third party app called snip and sketch to take a screenshot.
Contents of the article
- Press the print screen key (often abbreviated as “PrtScn” or “PrtSc”) on your keyboard. This will capture a screenshot of your entire screen and save it to your clipboard.
- Press the windows key and print screen keys simultaneously. This will capture a screenshot of your entire screen and save it to your Pictures folder in a subfolder called screen shots.
- Use the snipping tool. Click the Start button, type the snipping tool in the search box, and then select it from the results. Click the “New” button, and then drag the cursor over the area of the screen you want to capture. You can save the screenshot as an image file or copy it to the clipboard.
- Use the Windows Game Bar. Press the windows key and G keys simultaneously. Click the screenshot button in the Game Bar or use the keyboard shortcut windows key and alt and PrtScn to capture a screenshot of your game or app.
Option 1: How to screenshot on Windows with print screen key
Using the print screen key can be the easiest way to take a screenshot, in fact, it is the most used one by Windows users. To take a screenshot with the help of the print screen button all you have to do is follow the steps below:
How to take a screenshot on Windows 10 with the print screen key?
- Make sure that the content you want to capture is visible on your screen.
- Locate the Print Screen key on your keyboard. On most keyboards, it is labeled as “PrtScn” or “PrtSc.”
- Press the Print Screen key once. This will capture an image of your entire screen, including all open windows and icons.
- Open an image editor or document where you want to paste the screenshot. You can use Microsoft Paint or any other editing software.
- Press the control key and V or right-click and select paste to insert the screenshot. You can also use the “File” menu to save the screenshot as an image .
Note: Some keyboards may require you to use the “Fn” key in combination with the print screen key to take a screenshot. Also, keep in mind that the print screen key only captures an image of your screen and does not automatically save it to a file. You will need to paste the screenshot into an image editor or document to save it.
How to capture screenshots for the whole screen?
If you want to get your entire screen capture without using any snipping tool to modify here is what you have to do:
Open up the desired screen
First, open the screen you want to capture, and make sure it is the correct page. Get it to full screen mode. Now you have to press the print screen button on the upper right side of your keyboard. By pressing this key you will activate the print screen action. You wont require a third party app for this type of windows screenshot.
Use your keyboard for the screenshot
This type of capture can be done through your keyboard, all you require is the correct full screen and the perfect screenshot tool called the print screen button. You can take a screenshot of anything and anytime.
Windows saves your screenshot
The windows will automatically save your screenshot to the images or pictures folder in your file explorer. All you have to do is keep taking screenshots with the elegant screenshot tool. You will see a notification on the lower left side of your screen.
Make the edits as you go
Now if you want to save the file manually then all you need to do is paste the screenshot into any window; Microsoft Word or Paint. You can also get to select the file explorer you want to save the image in. This can do image editing without having to use the snipping tool after taking screenshots.
Save it the folder you want
After you’re done editing your image you can save it to the screenshots folder. With the help of the Windows key and print screen button you can take a screenshot, add it to your screenshots folder, edit the image, and save it again.
You might be one of those Windows users that have a keyboard with a Function key called Fn on it. This means that you need an extra step to get a screenshot of your full screen screenshot. Here is what you can do if you have the Fn key on your keyboard:
All you need to do is press the function key Fn and the print screen button to activate the screen capture, i.e., the Fn + print screen button or print screen button.
The print screen key will capture the entire screen and save it in the screenshots folder or file explorer. You should also be able to see a notification on the lower right corner of your screen and notice that it is saved automatically.
However, if you want to use your snipping tool window to edit the image before you save it, you can change the settings of the screenshots folder and have it saved manually after you make the changes.
You can say that the image is not saved but copied to your Windows clipboard. So if you want to save the image all you have to do is press windows key to access the clipboard and get the image to save in the folder you desire.
This second method involves not a lot of effort. You can get away with using a few keys to get the desired results.
- Ensure that the window you want to capture is active and in the foreground. Locate the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It is usually labeled as “PrtScn” or “PrtSc”.
- Hold down the “Alt” key on your keyboard and then press the Print Screen key. This captures an image of the active window. Open an image editing program or document where you want to paste the screenshot. You can use any image editing software, such as Microsoft Paint, Adobe Photoshop, or GIMP.
- Press “Ctrl” + “V” or right-click and select “Paste” to insert the screenshot. Alternatively, you can use the “Edit” menu and select “Paste.” Save the screenshot as an image if needed. You can use the “File” menu and select “Save As” to save the screenshot in a specific format such as JPEG, PNG, or BMP.
That’s it! You have now taken a screenshot of the active window using the Alt and Print Screen buttons on Windows.
Editing the screenshot image
If you want to edit your screenshot, then you need to do it before it saved in a folder.
Get the screen open you want to take a screenshot of then you need to use the alt and print screen button to get the result you want.
Now that you see the notification of the screenshot in the lower right corner of your screen you can press windows button to get your snipping tool out.
Open the snipping tool and start working, crop out the section from the screen shot you just took. The snipping tool is fairly easy to use, in fact, it’s the most used way of getting the section you want.
You can also go to windows desktop, search for the clipboard, and get the image at hand. Copy and paste the image to Microsoft word or Paint. This way you can crop it out using their tools.
Option3: Windows logo + Print Screen screen capture
This option is used by a few users of Windows 10, all you have to do is press windows key and print screen record.
Your screen will go darker and an screenshot will be taken of your entire screen.
This will be saved to your images or pictures or screenshots folder.
Make sure to use the windows logo or button for this one and that your keyboard is working just fine.
Incase you want to edit the image, you need to get into your screenshots folder and use your snipping tool.
Option 4: You can use the snipping tool to take a screenshot
One of the most commonly used method is to select snipping tool to get the screenshot you want.
All you have to do is to press the windows key and type snipping tool, when you do this a snipping tool window will pop up.
Select it and get going with the process. You can either:
- Take a screenshot of the entire screen
- Get the horizontal part of the screen
- Any shape or form of a screenshot.
Taking screenshots through a snipping tool app does not mean that the image or screenshot will be saved to your PC. You need to manually save the image or screenshot to your computer.
Here’re the steps to use the snip and snipping tool to take a PC screenshot:
Open snipping tool app, you can search for it in the search bar when you press the start menu. However, if you see the snipping tool on your window mode or taskbar, you can click on the button.
You can also right-click on the icon and press open to start the process. But your best bet would be to get in to start menu, then go into the search icon and type snipping tool in case you have never used it before.
Note: if you are using a microsoft surface device, you can do the same process by getting into the start menu and search icon to find the snipping tool. Most of the microsoft surface device also have the windows key print screen tool to take a screenshot.
Now a new window will appear on your windows vista or windows os. You can pick the mode of the snip you require: free form mode, full screen capture, window snip, or horizontal or rectangular snip.
We are going to start with the rectangular snip
The snipping tool also includes the set a delay option that allows a delayed screenshot that can be taken at the certain time you have picked as shown in the image below.
This tool can be helpful when you want to get a screenshot at a certain time. This is why you can put the delay out up to 5 seconds.
How the process takes place
when you are all ready to taking screenshots, click on the button New. The screenshot tool will turn the mouse cursor into a cross. If you have used the delay option, the screenshot tool will fade on the amount seconds you have picked.
If you picked the horizontal screen snip you can click and drag to create a rectangle on the screen. The screenshot will be the rectangle you have cropped.
If you have picked the free form snip you can click and drag to create any shape. although you need to keep in mind that once you stop pressing the screenshot will be automatically taken.
If you have selected the window snip, you can click on the windows you want to take the screenshot of.
Lastly, if you click on the full screen snip, the tool will take a full-screen screenshot of the whole screen.
The saving options for the screenshot
Once you have taken the screenshot, you can do a lot with it.
Save the image as a file by clicking ona file and selecting Save as then and putting it in the desired location.
Send it via email by clicking on the file and selecting Send then going into email recipient or you can add it as an attachment to the email.
Print the screenshot by clicking on the file and then selecting print.
You can also copy the screenshot to your clipboard by clicking on the file then editing then copying.
You can also edit the screenshot using the Pen or Highlighter function. You can customize the color of the pen. This is useful if you want to focus the attention of the screenshot on a particular section.
Option 5: Use a third party app called snip and sketch to take a screenshot.
There are several third party applications you can use for your screenshot. The snip and sketch app can be replaced by the snipping tool on windows.
snip and sketch app is the ideal option for screenshot on windows. If you want to annotate customize and share your screen shots.
To start the Snip & Sketch, press windows key print screen+ shift + s or look for Snip & Sketch app in your search bar.
With a snip and sketch you can pick how you like to get your screenshot. these options are some what similar to the snipping tool.
The snip and sketch process
Horizontal or rectangular screen snip, free form snip, window snip and full screen capture. These screen captures will not be saved immediately.
All the tool does is copy the image to your clipboard. You have select and insert images you like on the documents you like; Microsoft Word or Paint or Photoshop. You want to start by looking for it in the search bar. The snip and sketch window will appear.
Then in this window, you need to click on the New button to start your screenshot, in most windows operating system, all you need to do is use your cursor and click and drag. Set a timer if you want, from snip in 3 to snip in 10 seconds.
After you’re done selecting the screen will go dark and the sketch tool will appear at the top of the screen. It will give you four options to choose from; rectangular snip, freeform snip, window Snip, and full computer screen snip.
When you have selected one of them, you will be able to take the screenshot you want, be it a rectangle, a freeform, a particular window, or a full screen screenshot.
Once you have captured the screenshot, Snip & Sketch app will open and you will see your screenshot. Here you can add annotations with a ballpoint pen, a pencil, or a highlighter. You can erase them using the eraser and you can also use a ruler (which you can rotate by using the mouse wheel) to make the annotations in the angles you want. There is also the option to crop the screenshot.
Now that you’ve finished editing the image you can Save, Copy, or Share using the buttons at the top right corner. Clicking on Save will let you choose where to save the image. Clicking on Copy will copy the image to your Clipboard and clicking on Share will let you share the image to your contacts via email or via other apps.
How are the different snips used?
Create any shape around any object
As the name indicates, a rectangular-shaped snip.
Select a window, which could be anything you want, that you want to capture.
Capture your entire screen.
- Open the Snip and Sketch application: You can do this by typing “Snip and Sketch” in the Windows search bar and clicking on the app when it appears in the results.
- Choose the type of screenshot you want to take: When the Snip and Sketch app opens, click on the “New” button in the upper-left corner of the window. You will be presented with four options for taking a screenshot. Select the option that best suits your needs by clicking on it.
Take the screenshot: After you’ve selected the type of snip you want to take, the Snip and Sketch application will minimize to the taskbar and a small toolbar will appear at the top of your screen. You can use this toolbar to cancel the snip, take a new one, or open the snip in the Snip and Sketch editor.
For example, if you selected the rectangular snip, click and drag your mouse to draw a rectangle around the area you want to capture. When you release the mouse button, the snipped area will be automatically saved and opened in the Snip and Sketch editor.
Edit the screenshot (optional): Once the screenshot is taken, it will be opened in the Snip and Sketch editor. You can use the pen, highlighter, or eraser tools to annotate the screenshot if you wish. The editor also has other options, such as cropping the image or changing its color.
Save the screenshot: When you’re done editing the screenshot, click on the “Save” button in the upper-right corner of the Snip and Sketch window. You will be prompted to choose a save location and file name for the image. You can also share the screenshot directly from the Snip and Sketch app by clicking on the “Share” button instead.
Option 6: You can use the Game Bar to take a screenshot.
- Open the Game Bar: Press the Windows key + G on your keyboard to open the Game Bar. If you haven’t used it before, you may need to enable it in the Settings menu first. To do so, go to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Game Bar and make sure the “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game Bar” option is turned on.
- Take the screenshot: Once the Game Bar is open, click on the “Screenshot” button or press the Windows key + Alt + PrtScn on your keyboard. This will take a screenshot of your entire screen and save it to your default Pictures folder.
- At the top right corner of your screen, a window labeled broadcast & capture will appear. Click on the camera icon to take the screenshot. This will save the screenshot as a PNG file and saves it in full-screen image.
If you only want to capture a specific area of your screen, you can use the Snip & Sketch tool instead. To do so, click on the “Capture” button on the Game Bar and select “Snip & Sketch” from the dropdown menu. This will open the Snip & Sketch tool, which you can use to capture and edit your screenshot as desired.
Edit the screenshot (optional): If you chose to use the Snip & Sketch tool, your screenshot will automatically open in the editor once you’ve taken it. You can use the tools in the Snip & Sketch editor to annotate, crop, or resize the image as needed.
Save the screenshot: Once you’ve finished editing your screenshot (if applicable), click on the “Save” button in the upper-right corner of the Snip & Sketch window. This will save the image to your default Pictures folder unless you choose a different save location.